- December 24, 2021
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: WASH Specialist
Duty station: 50% North and 50% South – Yemen
Starting date: 01/03/2022
Contract duration: 12 months (4 months as probation contract)
Reporting to: Multi-sector project managers – Ibb and Taiz Program Coordinators (1 North and 1 South)
Supervision of: National staff teams for WASH activities: activity coordinators, data entry WASH, engineers, water quality officers, and hygiene promoters and hygiene promotor team leaders
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
The projects will provide emergency Health and Nutrition (H&N) services, integrated with Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and protection services for all conflict affected people in two districts in Ibb (Dhi Suffal and Al-Udayn), in an inclusive manner, with special focus on IDPs and women and children. INTERSOS will pursue reduction of mortality and morbidity in the two districts by supporting provision of lifesaving health and nutrition services in existing health facilities (HFs), which will be rehabilitated with main focus on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) improvements so as to prevent/reduce spreading of water-borne diseases. In parallel, emergency protection services will be provided in the HFs, with outreach in the HF catchment area whenever required. Community volunteers will ensure community acceptance, and work on cultural barriers mitigation towards all urgent needs and risks related to H&N, protection and WASH. Direct referrals from health, nutrition and WASH teams will help in the identification of the most vulnerable cases, while referrals from protection to H&N and WASH services will be equally beneficial to achieve the project’s objectives.
General purpose of the position
The WASH expert must ensure that the project meets minimum standards, in a cost effective and timely manner to the benefit of conflict affected communities in Ibb and Taiz.
The WASH expert is assisting the Project Manager(s) in management, strategic programming, implementation of WASH activities and achievement of objectives related to the WASH component in the geographic areas of competence, as well as in the identification and formulation of new interventions in order to improve the WASH conditions of the target population according with INTERSOS protocols and the Country Strategy.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Design and improve the technical engineering implementation aspects of the INTERSOS WASH Program in Yemen.
- Ensure the project will satisfy the needs of the beneficiaries. Provides oversight of water source construction and sanitation projects to ensure quality and acceptance.
- Organize, manage and monitoring the WASH project activities in Yemen targeted regions, ensuring timely and quality implementation in compliance with the defined project strategy as well as INTERSOS and donor guidelines;
- Undertake a detailed technical assessment of the WASH needs and gaps for assistance in the project target areas to define the exact locations of intervention and the beneficiaries;
- Coordinate with the logistic, administration and finance staffs to procure all equipment, supplies and materials required to implement the WASH project activities, ensuring cost efficiency and accountability in compliance with INTERSOS and donor regulations and procedures;
- Undertake daily field visits to provide technical guidance and supervision as well as regularly monitor the progress of the WASH project activities;
- Continuously assess the WASH needs of the target populations in the project areas, periodically update the WASH situation analysis and inform the programme accordingly;
- Work closely with the colleagues to ensure the integration of the WASH project activities with other sectors;
- Work closely with HR department to build the capacities of the WASH project national staff in Yemen and regularly evaluate their performance.
- Support the management in preparing the narrative and financial reports with reference to the WASH project component, according to INTERSOS and donor requirements;
- Support the HoM on the development, implementation and evaluation of the mission strategy and programme in reference to the WASH Sector providing technical inputs and recommendations for new and ongoing interventions in the country.
- Coordinate with MEAL department to ensure all forms, surveys are according to the program indicators and objective.
- Upholds a high standard of quality by ensuring all programs refer to technical standards, conform to government standards, and are aligned with internal and external strategic objectives.
- Support and develop capitalization of WASH activities in the mission
Proactively participate in WASH cluster and relevant inter-sectoral coordination meeting at national, governorate and hub level.**
Required profile and experience
o MA or BSc in Engineering, hydrology, Geology, or other relevant studies
o Specialized studies – courses on WASH in emergencies, Public Health, WASH Academic
o Minimum 3 years of experience in humanitarian WASH programming for MSc and 6 years of experience for BSc, including access to safe water, improved sanitation, and environmental health programming
o Prior work experience in complex humanitarian setting in the field
o Proven practical experience in WASH or construction project implementation, including experience in large scale water, Sanitation and construction works construction and contract management
o Prior work experience in the Middle East is highly desirable
o Prior work experience in cholera outbreaks response
o High respect and adherence to confidentiality
o Able to work independently
o People Management and Leadership
o Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
o Proficient in Auto CAD, EPANET 2, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
o Demonstrated experience in staff capacity building and supervision
o Readiness and ability to move around in Yemen
o Able to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
o Excellent written and spoken English
o Arabic would be asset (reading and writing)
o Ideally Arab native speaker with excellent English skills
o Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
o Strategic vision and planning
o Ability to work and adapt in different environments
o Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
o Practical and problem-solver
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/61bea9dd4a7571001f668213/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform – i.e. if and only if it is impossible to submit the requested files through the adequate channel – you will be allowed to submit your CV and Motivation Letter (both in PDF version) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line ” Platform issue – SR-35-2272– Position “. Please, bear in mind this is an exceptional measure, as there are allocated channels created for every job opening, which will make this process quicker and easier.
Please note that any application submitted via e-mail may take longer than our standard terms to be processed.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.