- February 17, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
- Reference : UA-2022
- 18-month service contract, from 1 April 2022 to 30 September 2023
- Deadline for submitting offers of collaboration : 09/03/2022
The International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) is an international human rights NGO. It brings together 192 national human rights organisations in 117 countries. Since 1922, FIDH has been committed to the defence of all civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights as enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
1. Purpose of the mission
To strengthen the advocacy action of FIDH and its member organisations towards the African Union, in particular towards the organs in charge of the promotion and the protection of human rights – African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights and African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights – and of the issues related to peace, security and justice – Permanent Representatives Committee (PRC), Peace and Security Council (AUPSC) and the relevant departments of the African Union Commission (AUC).
- Update, adapt and strengthen FIDH advocacy strategy towards AU member states, concerning the human rights situation in Africa. Deliverable: an updated advocacy strategic document.
- Inform the bodies of the African Union about the concerns and recommendations of FIDH and its member and partner organizations in Africa. Deliverable: A monthly report of contacts made and the progress of exchanges.
- Strengthen interaction among these bodies, FIDH and its member and partner organisations in Africa. Deliverable: A monthly report of contacts made and the progress of exchanges.
- Establish, together with the national, regional, and international human rights NGOs common strategies for advocating to the AU. Deliverable: A half-yearly report on the strategy followed and the state of progress.
- Ensure the visibility of FIDH and its member organisations at AU-organised and related meetings. Deliverable: A monthly report of actions made.
- Prepare, organise and participate in advocacy sessions and missions with representatives of FIDH and its member and partner organisations. Deliverable: A monthly report of actions made and the progress of exchanges.
- Draft denunciation, warning and advocacy documents for transmission to the AU and relevant actors involved (in French and in English). Deliverable: A monthly report of actions made.
- Provide advice on creating media visibility for the public positions taken by FIDH. Deliverable: A monthly report of actions made.
- Contribute to planning and reporting on actions carried out towards the AU. Deliverable: A monthly report of actions made.
3. Skills to carry out the mission
- Very good knowledge in the human rights and/or NGO sector.
- Good knowledge of issues related to the promotion and protection of human rights in Africa, international relations and political science.
- Good knowledge of the African Union system (its functioning, organs and mechanisms).
- Experience in advocacy and representation on issues related to the promotion and protection of human right.
- Fluency in French and English (written and spoken). Knowledge of another official AU language is an asset.
4. Terms and conditions
- In connection with FIDH Africa desk and the relevant persons within FIDH International Secretariat and International Board.
- The mission may be conducted at a distance depending on the work-site chosen by the consultant. Priority will be given, however, to responses to tenders from consultants living either in the East Africa or West Africa sub-regions, considering the presence of headquarters of AU organs in these regions.
- Depending on the evolution of the global health context related to the Covid-19 pandemic, there would probably be regular trips to Banjul (the Gambia), Arusha (Tanzania), and Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), where the seats of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights, the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights and the African Commission are hosted. Travel may also be required to any other AU member states where activities related to the African Union could be organised.
- The consultant could participate in working meetings in Paris (once or twice a year).
- Status : 18 month consultancy contract starting 1 April 2022 and ending 30 September 2023 (renewable for 15 months).
- Consultancy fees : 57 600 Euros for the 18 month period.
- Deadline for submission of tenders: 9 March 2022. The responses to tenders will be examined as things progress.
How to apply
Please send your file (CV, technical note with understanding of the terms of reference, financial offer), by e-mail, specifying in the subject of your e-mail the reference UA-2022, to Hassatou Ba Minté : email@example.com
Responses to the call for proposals will be considered in interviews organised by ZOOM, which will take place from 9 to 16 March 2022. The final selection of proposals will be made between 16 and 23 March 2022.