- January 14, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Position Title : Senior Programme Manager (IBM)
Duty Station : Abuja, Nigeria
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 27 January 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- External female candidates:
- Candidate from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states of IOM and female candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and direct supervision of IOM Nigeria Chief of Mission and with direct technical support from the Regional Thematic Specialist for the Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Division, the successful candidate will be responsible for: providing substantive expert technical support to, and direct management of, the full Program portfolio of IOM Nigeria IBM projects; development of new concepts and new projects for that portfolio in close collaboration with key Nigerian government partners and with the donor community; monitoring and analysis of national and trans-national trends relevant to the IOM Nigeria IBM portfolio; and, contributing to the government of Nigeria perspective and support to regional IBM projects affecting Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Act as the IBM expert resource for the IOM Country Office in Nigeria by contributing to all programming and Country Office consultations relevant to the IBM portfolio, including areas related to border management, travel and identity documents, biometrics, training and organizational development for government capacity building, and related areas. Actively contribute that expertise to project development and implementation.
- Directly manage all programmatic aspects, notably technical, legal and operational/security components as well as financial,of the IOM Nigeria IBM Program portfolio, , including direct responsibility for supervision of Country Office staff and consultants working in that portfolio: ensuring close cooperation with all partners, guiding projects to successful and timely conclusion, applying quality control to all aspects of the various projects’ implementation, ensuring timely and accurate donor reporting and maximum donor/partner visibility, through an accurate and timely monitoring and evaluation system.
- Lead in the development, implementation and monitoring IOM Nigeria’s IBM growth and development vision, aligning it with Government strategic priorities linked to enhanced border management, regularization of border crossing processing, sensitive/personal data collection, sharing and protection mechanisms, inter-agency cooperation. Link and seek synergies between the Country Office strategy and IOM’s regional and global IBM strategies, relevant strategies of other UN agencies, and donor/partners’ national, regional and trans-regional strategies.
- Ensure development and delivery of quality thematic training/workshops for Government of Nigeria (GoN) as required by project outcomes. Help ensure responsive and professional technical support to GoN through, among other activities, development and provision of information resources and training, border and migration management assessments, and related activities.
- Identify needs relevant to legal component of the IBM thematic areas and contribute to the development of relevant legislative tools, policies and procedures.
- Identify needs relevant to operational/ security component of the IBM thematic areas and coordinate and contribute to the development of relevant capacity building strategies while ensuring implementation of international standards and best practices.
- Take the lead in the discussions and actively provide technical inputs to the process of creating a Single Window Database for the Nigerian Government.
- Actively contribute to IOM’s IBM network regionally and globally, analyze and share best practices with relevant colleagues and
- Support regional strategic IBM planning exercises wherever possible, and lead country level strategic IBM planning and provide advice to Chief of Mission and RMO on resource utilization and mobilization options for the Mission’s IBM portfolio.
- Represent IBM in the Country by actively participating in conferences, workshops and meetings related to the thematic area of expertise, as required by the Chief of Mission and as requested by the IBM RTS and IBM at HQ. Develop synergies and partnerships with other agencies, as well as with potential donors, active in Nigeria in relevant technical programming areas.
- Cooperate, participate and develop relations with national organizations relevant for IBM issues and with key-donors for IBM projects in Nigeria.
- Participate and contribute to National, Regional, Continental and Interregional workshops, seminars and consultations, as requested.
- Actively support and guide the capacity building of IOM Nigeria staff in the thematic area and monitor their performance, development and professional growth.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Law, Law-enforcement, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with minimum seven years of relevant professional experience; or,
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
• Extensive background in border management (including Border Management Information Systems), Identity management, travel and identity documents, biometric applications in the migration sector, and related areas;
• Experience in the field of migration issues, including operational and field experience, IOM
project development, and management;
• Experience of running large IBM projects and programs, capacity to deliver IBM-related trainings/ workshops to Government officials is required;
• Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and
• Extensive work experience with Government or an International Organization in the thematic area;
• Substantive experience in donor project management, programmatically and financially, with
IOM or with a UN agency, will be an added advantage.
• Good strategic vision of border management in context of facilitations of regular migrations and transnational serious crime prevention;
• Good knowledge of IOM project financial management procedures and tools;
• A well developed or expert understanding of biometrics in migration applications, and an interest in advancing their understanding of this technical area;
• An understanding of the Nigerian public administration system and knowledge of the rules and regulations governing immigration in Nigeria;
• Very good knowledge of administrative and procedural aspects of project management approaches;
• Very good representational skills, including discretion and good judgment.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written).
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 27 January 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment