- January 3, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Forcier is a multi-sectoral research and monitoring & evaluation firm operating across Africa since 2011. Our core services include program evaluations, opinion polling, third party monitoring, and capacity building for UN Agencies, NGOs, governments and private sector clients operating in post-conflict and challenging environments. Forcier currently has offices in South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Mozambique. These offices are supported by a remote technical unit and our remote headquarters.
Forcier Consulting is seeking a Research Officer to implement research projects, with flexibility regarding the location of the post. The Research Officer will manage projects from start to finish – interfacing with clients, designing tools, training researchers, managing fieldwork, conducting rigorous analysis, and writing detailed reports – all while ensuring projects are executed on time and within budget. The Research Officer will be based in a regional office, drawing on the research and logistical support of resources there.
Forcier is looking for a Research Officer that has a passion for data analysis and understanding the impact of development projects in some of the world’s most challenging locations. Research never goes exactly according to plan, and the Research Officer must approach the problems that will inevitably arise with patience and creativity. An ability to multi-task, and manage multiple projects or various tasks simultaneously, is crucial. Every day at Forcier is different, and we are looking for those hungry to learn about new subjects, while teaching the rest of our staff thematic areas of expertise. Our ideal candidate is a strong team player, self-starter, and keen learner – eager to take on tasks outside their comfort zone, and respectfully engage with partners and fellow staff members from different cultural backgrounds.
- Implement research projects from A to Z, including research & tool design, budget formulation, researcher training, logistical preparation, fieldwork management, quality control, data cleaning, data analysis, and report-writing
- Conduct literature reviews, draft concept notes and inception reports, and gather relevant background information as necessary
- Create quantitative and qualitative data collection tools for projects, and script in digital data collection platforms
- Actively engage with all research staff – core and temporary – in an effort to share knowledge and better understand skillsets in reference to project needs
- Oversee enumerators and coordinators in the field during the implementation of research projects
- Ensure that projects are completed on-time and within budget
- Provide quality control during fieldwork
- Conduct data cleaning and rigorous analysis, and provide written reports or other deliverables for clients
- Attend in-country meetings with current and potential partners, including introductory meetings, and planning meetings throughout the lifecycle of projects
- Learn and utilize best practices to deliver high quality research to our partners and to enhance research programs and operational performance
- Conduct regular and project-related training and capacity building exercises for research staff
- Contribute and adhere to all Forcier systems to ensure that project information is appropriately documented and secured
- Perform other tasks as agreed with the Research Manager or Head of Business Unit
M.A. degree (or equivalent) in political science, anthropology, international relations, international development, economics, statistics, or a related field, OR B.A. degree (or equivalent) with 3+ years of work experience
- Fluency in written and spoken English is a requirement
- At least 1 semester of graduate-level coursework in statistics/economics
- Working knowledge of statistical packages such as Stata or R, with a strong preference for applicants who are well versed in Stata
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office package, including good skills in Excel
- Eagerness to learn and be pushed into new areas, and ability to learn from mistakes
- Ability to work independently in a stressful environment with minimal supervision
- Ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines
- Creativity and an ability to think outside the box to conceptualize projects and implementation strategies
- Cultural sensitivity, curiosity, sense of humor and a ‘can do’ attitude
- Interest in learning about and working in Africa
- Flexibility and willingness to work in other countries as needed
Preferred (but not required) Skills
- Experience with one or more international development sectors, especially experience designing key indicators and measurements for the purpose of evaluating programs
- Prior experience living and working abroad, preferably in a developing country; working experience in Africa will be considered an asset
- Prior experience in project management, including overseeing budgets and project timelines
- Experience collaborating with diverse, multi-cultural teams preferred
- Experience in applied analysis of survey data
- Background knowledge on the conflicts currently and historical found across the region
- Graduate-level coursework in research design and sample design
- Training in, or experience using qualitative analysis software (ex. NVivo)
- Training in, or experience using GIS analysis software (ex. QGIS)
How to apply
To apply submit your CV and a cover letter that answers the following three questions:
- What interests you most about working in South Sudan?
- What would your ideal research project be?
- What is something interesting about you that is not on your CV?
Submit on our website: https://www.forcierconsulting.com/careers