- January 14, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
ABOUT THE ROLE
Amnesty International East and Southern Africa Regional office in Nairobi seeks a Research, Campaigns and Communication Assistant. The Regional Office plays a critical role in the Amnesty International Secretariat, gathering and communicating accurate and action-oriented human rights information and delivering on the vision to end grave human rights abuses and build societies respectful of human rights. Across the region, Amnesty International campaigns for meaningful change, supports national entities, enables effective activism and growth, and works to persuade governments and other actors to uphold universal human rights standards. The office provides strategic leadership and support and advice to the Amnesty International movement globally, fostering its contribution, presence and public accountability throughout the world.
To assist the East Africa Regional office teams in the development and implementation of campaigning and communication strategies including by monitoring developments; managing information and communications systems; drafting and assisting in the productions of documents; participating in the coordination of the work of the team and providing it with administrative and other support including in relation to field work and response to crisis.
You have experience and a good track record in performing administrative and logistical tasks and have worked with various communication and information management systems. You are comfortable with drafting, formatting and editing documents including correspondence and reports. You are also familiar with the human rights context in East Africa, Horn of Africa and Great Lakes regions. You have great attention to detail and accuracy and also very well organized. You are also flexible, an avid team player with good communication skills that allow you to comfortably interface with different stakeholders.
- Assist the East Africa and Horn of Africa teams in research, communication, campaigning and growth activities by gathering and managing human rights-related information, through inter alia liaising with national and local contacts, media monitoring, internet searches and manual and electronic filing in relevant databases, using relevant language(s)
- Assist with campaigning, communication, research and growth activities through the production and distribution of public and internal campaigning materials, reports and other documents, as delegated or originated by research, campaigns, communications or growth staff, including drafting, formatting, editing/proofreading, distribution of texts and, where appropriate, coordinating the translation of documents
- Assist in the development and distribution of online and offline communications materials
- Act as a point of contact for internal and external interlocutors, process incoming inquiries and, as appropriate, respond to inquiries from other teams and programmes, the membership and the public
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Understanding of and commitment to human rights.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to draft and proof-read research, communication and campaign materials tailored to the appropriate audience
- Ability to express ideas clearly, orally and in writing, and communicate complex issues with sensitivity to the audience
- Experience of establishing and maintaining office systems and coordinating an efficient flow of communications and information
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Swahili
Please see the attached job description for more information on responsibilities, skills and experience required.
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 10 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. And whether we’re applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we’re all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
At Amnesty International, we are passionate about what we do and we are proud of our achievements as a movement. To compensate our employees for the critical work they do, we reward them through a combination of an attractive and sector competitive salary and benefits package, high levels of engagement and involvement, and a commitment to employee development.
Benefits include 37 days annual leave (inclusive of public holidays and grace days), pension scheme, employee assistance programme, life assurance and many more benefits designed to suit your own personal lifestyle. All of this, in a professional, engaging environment.
For further information on our benefits https://www.amnesty.org/en/careers/benefits/
WHAT WE HOPE YOU WILL DO NEXT
If you are talented, passionate about human rights and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience to change the world then we would encourage you to click ‘Apply for this Role’ below.
Freedom, Justice, Equality. Let’s get to work.
*N.B. We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.***