- January 7, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
About the Aga Khan Foundation
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), was established by His Highness the Aga Khan in 1967. AKF is a private, not-for-profit international development agency that seeks to provide long-term solutions to society’s problems. AKF brings together human, financial, and technical resources to address challenges faced by the poorest and most marginalised communities in the world. AKF has a special focus on investing in human potential, expanding opportunity, and improving the overall quality of life, especially for women and girls. AKF’s primary areas of focus are; Education; Early Childhood Development (ECD); Health and Nutrition; Civil Society; Agriculture and Food Security; and Economic Inclusion.
AKF is committed to improving the quality of life of all boys and girls, women and men in the communities we work. To achieve this, AKF delivers multi-sector programming in the above sectors and assumes a holistic and systems approach ensuring all interventions are globally informed, locally rooted, are embedded in government and community interests and structures, and work to promote social inclusion, equity, and pluralism.
About the Madrasa Early Childhood Development Program
Madrasa Early Childhood Development Program, Uganda (MECPU) is an initiative of the Aga Khan Foundation that delivers ECD caregivers/teacher training services, as well as community-based programmes and policy engagement with government and other stakeholders.
MECP was first established in Kenya in 1986 with the objective of enabling communities to establish and sustain their own Early Childhood Education (ECE) centres and initiatives to prepare and enable girls and boys to go to school, stay in school, and learn.
MECPU delivers ECD caregivers/teacher training through the Madrasa Early Childhood Development Institute (MECDI), which was established to provide quality professional development courses for both pre-service and in-service ECD caregivers/teacher trainees. Through its community-based programmes and policy engagement, MECPU supports parenting programs and ECD policy development, dissemination and implementation, and analysis.
AKF though the Madrasa Early Childhood Development Program, Uganda (MECPU) is seeking an experienced and dynamic Project Officer – ECD to support it Early Childhood Development implementation in the district of Yumbe. The Project Officer ECD will perform his/her duties under the close supervision of the Project Coordinator/Assistant Programme Director
Role Purpose & Scope:
The Programme Coordinator will provide leadership and coordination of all ECD programme implementation in West Nile (Yumbe and Arua).
The Programme Coordinator will oversee the implementation of all project activities within the two districts to ensure timely delivery of project deliverables. S/he will also be responsible for advancing established partnerships with ECD stakeholders within the districts. The coordinator will be responsible for the following current projects in the region; Foundations for Learning, Armstrong, LEGO which will run up to 2024 and Highgate which runs up to 2022.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
ECD Leadership and Technical Support
- In liaison with the Programme Director, provide overall leadership throughout the project life cycle
- Supervise program officers by providing direction, input and feedback
- Coordinate and support the preparation of training materials (Manuals, outlines and programs)
- Supervise and coordinate gender responsive training, mentorship and support for ECD educators and stakeholders
- Support on-the-ground in identifying and developing solutions that will help 60 teachers to Teach Like Champions.
- Lead planning and delivery of all training including both Centre-based and site-based mentoring for teachers, parents and CMCS
- Facilitate linkages of ECD teacher trainees with their schools for practicum placement.
- Support the Programme Officers to organise and conduct capacity building sessions for Centre Management Committees, teachers and parents.
- In collaboration with the Teacher trainers deliver centre based and onsite support to the teachers offering a diploma course.
- Represent MECP-U in District events and all relevant Education or ECD for a, in ways that advances feedback from the local government leadership, partnerships and build support for MECP-U programmes
- Finance, budgets and compliance
- Ensure that the relevant donor and internal policies for procurement, travel, payments etc are followed throughout implementation
- Prepare activity budgets, workplans (including procurement plans) and ensure implementation of corresponding activities in line with the approved budgets and work plan.
- Approve all petty cash requests and retirements and ensure adequate supporting documents are in place for onward and timely submission to the Finance Officer.
- Take responsibility for providing budget variance explanations on quarterly basis.
Quality Assurance and Reporting
- Lead in monthly, quarterly, annual project review and planning meetings
- Identify and evaluate the risks associated with programme activities and take appropriate actions
- Support the MEAL officer in collection of Data, lessons learnt, best practices to inform reports for internal and external use;
- Monitor and review project activities to ensure quality, compliance and timely reporting.
- Ensure timely compilation and submission of regular periodical project narrative reports and other progress reports as may be required from time to time
- Ensure quality and timely implementation of the programme activities against set objectives, targets, timelines and budget as per the approved work plan and budget.
- Review and provide feedback on activity level reports
- Undertake any other delegated responsibility as assigned by the immediate supervisor
HR & Administration
- Supervise the project staff, conduct their regular performance appraisal and provide feedback from improvement, along with the necessary mentorship or coaching
- Oversee and monitor motor vehicle usage and maintenance and advice management on the status of the project vehicles.
- Coordinate procurement and supplies management, ensuring comprehensive records are maintained throughout the project life.
- Ensuring Fixed Asset register is maintained, and all assets are labelled.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
A Bachelors degree in Education or, ECD/ECCE
At least 5 years’ experience of working on ECD programmes, with a minimum of 2 years’ experience supervising other staff Working with communities on promotion of ECD will be an added advantage.
Demonstrable experience with adult learning facilitation
Experience managing stake holders at district level, e.g. schools, communities, local government etc and mobilization skills.
Fluent in one or more of the following three local languages: Kakwa, Lugbar and Aringa, will be an added advantage
An excellent command of spoken and written English, including report writing and computer skills, especially MS Word and Excel.
Willingness to work and reside in remote districts in West Nile
Ability to ride a motorcycle will be an added advantage.
Adherence to AKF’s values and safeguarding policy.
Impeccable honesty and work ethics
Personal commitment to working as reliable, honest, & trustworthy member of AKFU team
How to apply
Candidates interested in this unique career opportunity with Madrasa Early Childhood Program should submit a two-page cover letter and a maximum three-page CV including the names and contact information of three professional referees by 4:30pm on 20th January 2022.
Click on the link to apply: www.akdn.org/careers
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
“The Madrasa Early Childhood Program is an affiliate of AKF which Is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is Committed to Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children and Vulnerable Adults and Expects all Staff and Partners to Share this Commitment.”
The Aga Khan Foundation is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org)