- November 19, 2021
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
FIDH (International Federation for Human Rights) is an international human rights NGO. Since 1922, we have been committed to the defence of all civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights as defined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
We are a federation of 192 national human rights organisations active in 117 countries. We believe that the transformation of societies is first and foremost the responsibility of local actors. Our activities aim to strengthen their capacity for action and their influence.
The International Secretariat of the FIDH is a human-sized organisation (45 employees in Paris and 14 employees in several offices abroad) and composed of a committed international team. Our Paris office is located in a lively and central area of Paris (near Bastille and Gare de Lyon).
As part of its mandate, FIDH protects and supports human rights defenders at risk. FIDH is looking for a :
Program Officer (F/M) for the Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders
General objective of the position :
Within the Programmes Department, under the supervision of the Head of the Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders and as part of a team of 4 employees with you, the Programme Officer contribute to the material support and capacity building of human rights defenders (HRDs) and NGOs at risk, and to the urgent documentation of violations suffered by defenders.
Your main responsibilities will include :
A. Facilitate and strengthen the links with internal and external actors:
◦ Facilitate a good communication from and to FIDH member and partner organisations in contact with the desk to foster a collaborative relationship with partners such as OMCT and ProtectDefenders.eu ;
◦ Interact regularly with external stakeholders involved in grant-making for HRDs and CSOs, including external partners.
B. Implement the Desk’s activities
- within the framework of emergency material aid and capacity building support for human rights defenders (HRDs) and NGOs at risk :
. Carry out an evaluation of all grant applications received in accordance with internal procedures, in cooperation with the relevant FIDH offices, as well as local member organisations and partners ;
. Inform applicants of the status of their application in a timely manner ;
. Ensure the follow-up of the grants awarded, including the preparation and signature of grant agreements, as well as the timely disbursement of funds ;
. Monitor the progress of grants, including with the Administration and Finance Department, and liaise with stakeholders to receive and validate interim and final narrative and financial reports ;
. Maintain up-to-date information in related shared files and tools ;
. Report problems in the grant allocation system to the Head of the Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders and to the Administration and Finance Department, and propose proactive solutions ;
. Ensure that all grants available under the project are advertised on the website and disbursed within the appropriate funding cycles ;
. Contribute to the preparation of narrative and financial reports to donors ;
. Conduct regular quantitative and qualitative analysis on the impact and monitoring of grants awarded, as well as on key trends and security challenges affecting HRDs ;
. Regularly evaluate and make recommendations to improve the application and implementation procedures of FIDH grants.
- In terms of documentation :
. Contribute to the drafting and internal validation of urgent alerts issued by the desk.
C. Implement logistical and administrative taks linked to the activities.
- Training in international law, with a specialisation in human rights.
- At least 3 years of successful experience in a similar function managing emergency grants to defenders.
- Good knowledge of protection issues for HRDs.
- Responsiveness, excellent ability to work in an emergency.
- Ability to manage stress.
- Knowledge of the FIDH working methods is an asset.
- Knowledge of French (C1), English (C1) and Spanish (B2) ; knowledge of another language would be a plus.
You are in total agreement with the values at work in the FIDH International Secretariat (professionalism, respect, commitment, equality, integrity, participation, audacity), as well as with the struggles led by FIDH for the defence of the human rights of all people, everywhere in the world, as explained in its statutes and through its publications accessible from its website : www.fidh.org
FIDH seeks diversity and is committed to equality by not discriminating in its hiring practices, without distinction of any kind, based on race, religion, age, disability, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, health status or any other situation protected by French and international human rights law.
For people with disabilities, we ask you to indicate in your cover letter any adaptations that would be useful to enable you to participate in the recruitment process in an optimal way.
Terms and conditions of employment
- 1 year fixed-term contract, with the possibility of extension subject to the achievement of the objectives set at the beginning of the mission, the needs and the available funding.
- Position based in Paris. Telework possible with a minimum of 4 face-to-face days per month.
- Salary 32,5 K€ gross per year over 13 months.
- 24 days RTT per year. 25 days paid holiday per year.
- Supplementary health insurance : employer’s contribution of €82.39 per month.
- Meal vouchers €9 and 60% paid by the FIDH.
- 50% of the cost of public transport passes will be covered.
Position to be filled : as soon as possible.
How to apply
Do you fit the description of the profile we are looking for ?
Send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com indicating the reference OBS-2021 in the subject line by December 9th, 2021 at the latest to the attention of Hugo GABBERO, Head of the Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders.
Interviews will take place as applications are received.
FIDH reserves the right to close the recruitment before the deadline for applications.
Only those candidates whose applications are accepted will be contacted.