- December 22, 2021
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Position Title : Media and Communications Officer
Duty Station : Bangkok, Thailand
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 03 January 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), and close coordination with the Programme and Policy Support Coordinator and programmes managers and technical guidance from the Regional Media and Communications team in the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP), the successful candidate will be responsible for the development and implementation of internal and external public information, communications and awareness raising activities of IOM in Thailand.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a public information strategy for IOM Thailand in line with Headquarters (HQ) and regional strategies.
- Coordinate all communications-related projects and activities, including communications campaigns and strategic communications support to partners.
- Engage with and respond to media requests as appropriate.
- Produce, collect and disseminate public information material highlighting the Country Office’s (CO) work, including press briefing notes, human interest stories, newsletters, photographs and videos.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a digital engagement strategy, including generating timely and engaging content for social media and regularly updating web content.
- Liaise with partners, in particular inter-agency communications working groups, such as the United Nations (UN) Communication Group, to encourage information flow and to facilitate the development of complementary public information strategies under the One UN approach.
- Monitor local and international media and inform the CoM and Programme Managers on relevant developments.
- Support the CoM by drafting statements, key messages, talking points and other relevant information material upon request.
- Check the inclusion of appropriate gender awareness in the CO’s communications.
- Undertake duty travel as needed.
- Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Development Studies, International Affairs or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in communication campaigns, digital content creation, including photography, videography, graphic design and editing;
• Experience in building public information capacities of staff and external stakeholders;
• Experience liaising with government, civil society and media partners;
• Work experience in the region is an advantage.
• Exposure to IOM’s institutional setting and or other international organizations;
• Excellent grasp of migration dynamics in Asia Pacific;
• Demonstrated high competency as a writer and editor in English.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Thai is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner
consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 03 January 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment
system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 21.12.2021 to 03.01.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CFA 2021 52 Media and Communications Officer (UG) Bangkok, Thailand (57318945) Released
Posting: Posting NC57318946 (57318946) Released