- February 7, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity”
Humanity & Inclusion (HI) is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in more than 60 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
The HI network is an organisation made up of a Federation (with 2 operational HQs in Lyon and Brussels), 8 national associations (Germany, Belgium, Canada, United States, France, Luxembourg, United Kingdom and Switzerland) and the HI Institute on Humanitarian Action. All these entities work concertedly to implement HI’s international aid and development mandate.
The Federation is responsible for implementing the network’s social missions in around sixty countries. It operates under the names “Humanity & Inclusion” or “Handicap International” depending on the country.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
Humanity & Inclusion has been implementing development and humanitarian interventions in Ethiopia since 1986. HI was working in the area of physical rehabilitation, inclusive education, mine risk education, community based rehabilitation, HIV and AIDS, capacity building of local associations of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs), inclusive sexual reproductive health, protection and recently on COVID 19 response. HI has also been implementing protection projects for Internally Displaced Persons and South Suddenness Refugees. Currently, HI is implementing an inclusive protection projects in Somali region, Liben Zone (Filtu and Deka Suftu districts) and Benshangul Gumuz region, Kamashi zone as well as integrated multi-sectoral lifesaving response to conflict and climate induced affected IDPs in Somali, Oromia, Southern Nation Nationalities People (SNNP) regions, Benshangul Gumuz region, Kamashi zone and Gambela refugee camp.
HI promotes an inclusive approach by focusing on access to services for all whenever possible rather than developing specific actions for people with disabilities. HI works not only with people with disabilities and other vulnerable populations, but also with their families, their communities, and the society.
HI Ethiopia also signed strategic partnership agreement with different International NGOs with commitment to support their programs are inclusive humanitarian action.
To carry out HI’s Strategy in Ethiopia and Somalia, we are looking for our new Country Director for the next 3 years
Under the responsibility of the Geographic Director CESAN, as a Country Director you contribute within Ethiopia and Somalia to the implementation of the mandate and the 10-year strategy of Humanity & Inclusion. You ensure optimal quality and impact of the activities in the Programme, through a delegation system with appropriate control mechanisms. Your team is composed of 9 senior manager in charge of the overall mission (4 000 000 € yearly budget) and over 100 staff.
· You are the legal representative in the country of the overall HI organization internally and externally, and promotes a high reputation and positive image of HI. You Develop external influence of HI (forums, operational & strategic alliances, etc.) and the external representation of the organization (events, media) in the Programme’s geographical scope
· By being the top manager of the Programme organization you set up a team spirit and team functioning guaranteeing synergies and exchange of good practices between the different actors in the Programme and with head office colleagues.
· You deploy HI’s full mandate and 2025 Strategy, with operational partners, institutions and/or donors, and steers organisational transformation in line with Lean, Shared Services and transformation projects. This is done through the development and implementation of the Programme’s Operational Strategy.
· In case of emergency, you take responsibilities in accordance with the response framework defined.
· Be responsible for fundraising and resource planning: The Operational Strategy includes a fundraising strategy aligned with HI’s ethical principles and the Institutional Funding Development Plan.
· With regard to the safeguarding of beneficiaries of HI’s Programmes: respects and ensures respect of institutional policies by the HQ and field staff that you manage**
· With regard to security management: **
- You Ensure compliance with institutional safety & security policy and the application of normative frameworks and standard operating procedures (context classification chart, security plans, etc.)**
- May be delegated authority for management of crisis cells/ exceptional cells; **
· You ensure compliance with the budget framework (including unrestricted funds) and HI policies and frameworks (safeguarding, commitment thresholds, security, human resources, risk management, etc.)
· You actively monitor and analyse context developments, in order to identify risks and opportunities.**
· You hold a degree in international relation or any related field
· You have at least 5 years’ experience at key management position within international organizations, including in a tensed and volatile context with strict security measures;
· Management experience in humanitarian programs in Eastern Africa is an asset.
· You show strong interpersonal and intercultural skills and excellent communication skills and commitment to team work;
· You are able to work under high pressure and without constant supervision;
· You are keen on developing links and continuum between relief activities and development oriented projects;
· You are motivated by constant program adaptation to an evolving context and set up of partnerships with local and international partners;
· You demonstrate excellent organizational skills, co-ordination and transfer of knowledge;
· You show proven experience in negotiations with institutional donors, project writing and reporting.
At HI, the conditions offered are up to your commitment and adapted to the context of your mission. https://hi.org/en/join-the-team
· 36 months International contract **
· The international contract provides social cover adapted to your situation:**
o Unemployment insurance benefits for EU nationals**
o Pension scheme adapted to the situation of our employees: If you already have a personal pension scheme HI will contribute at the same level of your personal monthly contribution with a maximum of 272.53€/month ; If you do not have a personal pension scheme, we will open a private pension account with your contribution of 272.53€/month and a contribution of HI of the same amount**
o Medical coverage with 50% of employee contribution **
o Repatriation insurance paid by HI**
· Salary from 3232 € gross/month upon experience
· Perdiem: 472,90 € net/month – paid in the field
· Paid leaves: 25 days per year;
· R&R: according to the level of the mission Level 1: 1 day per month
· Position: open to families (more than 12 months) : package familial
§ a child allowance of 100€ per month, per child (from the second child) paid in the field
§ Contribution to school registration fees for children over 3 years
§ Family-wide health coverage
· Payment for travel costs (air ticket & visa) and transport of your personal effects **
· Housing: Individual taken in charge by HI**
How to apply
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the above link:
Applications will be processed on an ongoing basis, don’t wait for applying !
Only successful candidates will be contacted.