- March 17, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Commercial Advisor to join our global team of technical experts that support our field operations across the globe
Overall purpose of the role:
DRC implements a global portfolio that consists of thousands of donor-funded contracts each year. While the majority of these contracts are grant-funded, an increasing proportion across DRC’s four global regions are now delivered under commercial contract modalities, including a significant number in the East Africa & Great Lakes Region. As a result, additional technical expertise is required to support the quality delivery and future development of this portfolio. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Supporting quality project management and delivery of key contracts (70%)
- Supporting Project Directors as directed, responsible for ensuring delivery is high quality, on budget, and on time, and that client satisfaction is maintained.
- Overseeing technical work of Project Managers, especially in areas of client management, governance, workflow and project financial management, risk escalation, and reporting (internal and external).
- Technical review and approval of invoices and other financial reporting before submission to the client as required.
- Technical review and approval of regular internal reporting on performance against key indicators as required
- Coordinating between contract delivery teams, DRC Country Offices and Regional Offices and DRC HQ to facilitate internal resource requests.
- Ensuring DRC’s Operations Handbook, including sections specific to contract delivery, is adhered to, tools utilized and training/coaching provided to relevant staff, such as Finance and Project Management.
- Deputizes for Project Directors and Team Leaders when required as directed.
- Approves technical and financial changes to delivery plans (contract/work plan/budget), before changes are authorized in line with standard DRC delegation of authority
- Drives learning process and shares with wider organization.
Business and strategy development (30%)
- Supports delivery of DRC’s global Business Development strategy for commercial work under direction of the Commercial Contracts and Consortia Advisor
- Supports DRC’s global commercial business development pipeline, in line with global, regional and country strategies
- Supports organisational-wide prepositioning and capture planning, including competitor mapping, consortium selection, brand and messaging, teaming and financials.
- Directly supports bid management processes including but not limited to proposal design, proposal writing, competitor analysis, teaming, and commercial development.
- Coordinates, and supports key client account relationships globally by working closely with HQ, Regional Offices and Country Offices.
- Strengthens capacity in DRC for working with commercial contracts through training of relevant staff such as Head of Programmes, grants managers and finance staff.
- Improves DRC’s ability to capture and deliver commercial contracts through the analysis of and contribution to policy and process improvement within DRC’s implementation procedures.
To be successful in this role DRC is seeking a technical expert in commercial contracts with experience delivering contracts in NGOs. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Minimum 5-8 years of relevant experience with INGOs & commercial development organizations with focus on humanitarian/development work
- Extensive professional experience in commercial tendering and financial bid preparation
- Demonstrable professional experience and understanding of DRC’s contract delivery processes
- Proven ability to convert successful practice into new policy and process guidance for DRC
- Significant knowledge of key donor client contractual terms (UNOPS, USAID, FCDO, etc.)
- Existing network of consultants and potential partner organizations necessary for bid submission
- Masters-level degree or higher in relevant subject
- Fluency in English and French
• Ability to work in Spanish an advantage
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract: 7 months (1st June – 31st December 2022) extension subject to performance and funding. Salary and other conditions are offered in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment; Employment band Non – Managment F
Availability: 1st June 2022
Duty station: This position is based in Nairobi – Kenya **
Reporting Line: Head of Safety, Risk & Compliance
Providing equal opportunities We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
Promoting high standards : DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process
How to apply
Application and CV
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered.
DRC only accepts applications sent via our online-application form on https://drc.ngo/about-us/careers/vacancies/
Please submit your application and CV in English no later than 25th March 2022