Certificate Course in International Development Studies
If you are preparing to work in the field of international development, you need to acquire the knowledge, skills and contacts to function effectively in what may be unfamiliar or challenging circumstances. This interdisciplinary training course offered by Digital Learning International places particular focus on socio-economic development issues of concern to the developing African countries such as poverty, conflicts, governance, human rights, climate change and global inequality.
This course accords students an opportunity to examine development processes, interventions, theories, policies and government structures in the global arena. It is expected that the student, after having completed the course, will be able to better understand a number of salient issues in the developing world. The student is expected to be able to apply concepts learned in class to the analysis of important issues in development studies.
The course is structured around some key questions including:
- What does “development” mean and does it mean different things to different peoples and cultures?
- How has the historical experience of development influenced theories of development?
- What is the role of the state in development? Has this changed over time and why?
- What role do international development organizations play in development?
- Why are non-governmental organizations (NGOs) increasingly important development actors? What are the limits on the NGO role in development?
- How and why does being a woman change your life-chances and roles in the developing world?
- How and why does being an indigenous person change your life-chances and roles in the developing world?
- Is foreign aid effective?
- What is sustainable development and how can it be achieved?
- Introduction to International Development Studies
- What is Development?
- Theories of Development?
- Gender & Development
- The State and Development
- Foreign Aid and Sustainable Development Goals
- Free trade & Fair Trade
- Environment and Development
- Sustainable Development
In order to demonstrate their understanding of the course content, students will be required to submit three assignments.
DURATION: 3 Months
REGIONS TARGETED: Global
COURSE FEE: $400
ORGANIZERS: Development Dimensions Africa
FORMAT: Online Learning
GENERAL COURSE CONTACT: email@example.com